Collage

Collage
My Many Sides

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Denny

Today is my older brother Dennis's birthdayHe is 67 today, or would be if he had not died in Jan. of this year.
It never occurred to me that he would not be here for his birthday he had always before. In fact he had always been here for all my birthdays....I met him when he was 4 1/2.  Denny had always been here and it seemed like he always would be here...but life decided to throw a curve ball.  For the first 4 1/2 years of my life, it was just Denny and me, so there was this bond that developed between us that I thought was forever.  Sometimes one's thoughts are not right, they are more like wishes.

When I heard about Denny's death I was in a meeting and had to be careful how I reacted, it was difficult to restrain my pain.  Not another one I thought, my family was disappearing so fast, it just could not be.

The whole extended family was shocked to find out that Denny had gone...he was the very first grandchild, nephew and was loved and spoiled by my mother's family before she married my father.  My father adopted Denny as his own and when I came along he was THE big brother.

When we were little he was my hero, he would protect me. Once when I fell and was bleeding he picked me up and carried me to school, and he was only ten and I was five.  We fought and loved as most siblings but always forgave each other.  I forgave faster than he, but it usually happened over some little thing. 

Denny had the burden of being the oldest boy, and had five of us under him.  He had some very active and passionate brothers and sisters and he was able to keep up with them all.

I think he missed the younger ones and Mom, and now is up in a place having the time of his life.  He is getting his cake, ice cream and a shot of whiskey and sitting there with that wonderful smile on his face.

Happy Birthday Denny...may you have a great day no matter where you are...I will always love you....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment..