Collage

Collage
My Many Sides

Monday, October 8, 2012

Acting

Today was one of those beautiful Michigan Fall days. It was brisk, but had clear skies and sun.  This was also a day that Al and I could leave the house and not be in so much pain that only the bed is the answer.

A friend of ours said something to me not to long ago that has been stewing in my brain.  Barb and I were discussing how Al and I have to present ourselves to the public, and what the cost is.  She said that the longer she has gotten to know us, she has realized we are great actors.  That took me by surprise because I was not sure how to take it.  As we discussed it, I realized that she meant it as a compliment, but I am not so sure it should be.

It has occurred to me that the World is a Stage and we are all actors...just some of us have a larger character to create.  For those who see us in public they do not realize the effort it takes for us to "come out".  And they can not conceptualize the after effects.  I am not even talking about a large event, I am talking about something as simple as going to the store or a doctor's appointment.  There have been times when I don't leave the house for up to four months at a time, so as a result, when I get out I am thrilled.  Al does get out more than me because he is not hooked to oxygen.  We feel blessed that we are capable to do that, so many people can't even had this much freedom.

We tend to be independent and not ask for help very often, and when we do, we try to pay in what ever way we can.  Sometimes the people who offer help fully value what we can offer and others don't. I do not have control over others, only myself. (Sometimes).  We try to help others if we are capable, but the last time caused Al's disabilities to really flare up horribly. As a result, he has had times were he can not even get out of bed due to the pain.

I have advocated for children, seniors, homeless, veterans and the disabled for my entire life.  I have always felt that the information that I pass on has value, and have never asked any payment for it.  I have always respected any information that I have gotten from other experts.  They have been generous enough to trade in kind for information or skills.  So when I am told Al or I have not offered anything of value, it makes me concerned that our limited human contact is possibly infringing on our interpersonal communication skills.

So have our acting skills become rusty?  I am not sure.  I do know that due to the past Decade from Hell, the stresses we have been dealing with have worn us out.

I also know that the public events that we could tolerate are declining, so finding new resources has become a challenge.  New places are always difficult because of checking out if they are handicap accessible or not. I know we are getting older, choke, choke, and maybe not getting better but we would like to continue onto the World Stage.  So as we try to figure things out, we will fail at times, but mostly we hope to succeed.  That's Entertainment !!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment..