Collage

Collage
My Many Sides

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Taken to task

Well it is really interesting to be taken to task so early in my blogging experience.
Mike has said that I could not "not survived" if I am here, therefore I survived.  Well I suppose if you follow the description of the word survive per the Standard Dictionary I have in my lap, he could be close if he applied this to a normal person.  According to the book, the definition is such: Survive-1. To remain alive, or in existence. 2. To live or exist beyond the death, occurrence, or end of; outlive;outlast.  Strictly speaking, I guess I have done some of that.

But for me, to survive means to be at the same level as before the traumatic event, and thus I do not feel I have always survived.  

My life have been full of traumatic events, I got polio at 6 months and 12 years old.  My paternal grandfather sexually molested and tortured me from the age of 4 till 12.  I lost my father the week of my 13th birthday.  My mother remarried a man who was abusive.  I ended up with an abusive  1st marriage, and while escaping from him was in a bad auto accident. After getting divorced I went to work in a summer camp and was beaten and raped and left to die.  After recovering from that, I went to college, and while asleep, my apartment while it was burning down around me.  The fire dept recovered a body, I was told, not rescue a victim.  And the government said that because I had died, I no longer existed, so I had to pick a new name and get a new Social Security number.  So who has survived?


So am I a survivor? I don't really view experiencing these events as being successful.   Yes I was, and am, alive, but I hardly call this surviving.  I have days when I can not breathe, walk or function.  I struggle through PTSD at times.  I sometimes must live a very isolated life.  My immune system sucks.  Many times, so does my attitude.


I have had successes; I managed (with Al's help) to finally get my degree from U of M.  I helped fight a legal battle against my husband by the USPS, and we won. I have won some wonderful funky awards for costuming.  And I will be married for 28 years on Sunday.


With all the trauma I have had, at least I have a sense of humor....warped as Hell at times, but it is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment..