Collage

Collage
My Many Sides

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fun Days

As I am downsizing all my things so we can move into assisted living, I came across an old photo album and started to scan some pictures in. 

Back in the days.....now I do sound old, don't I?  Back in the 70's I had a Girl Scout Troop, #185 to be exact, and had 25 wonderful little girls that I got to play with.  I was their leader with my friend Izzy, from Juniors till Seniors. You don't know PMS till you have 25 at the same time.

One time in 1980 Izzy and I decided to take the whole troop, family and some friends to the Detroit Zoo.  Now I know, "What the "H" were we thinking?"  So besides the troop of girls, we had a passel of others to go with us.  BUT, Izzy and I figured, there would be other adults along. How bad could it be?....Again, I know, "What?"  So youth has it's advantages, you think you can do anything.

So, we get to the Detroit Zoo, unloaded about 45 people, and started to break them into workable groups...but none of the girls wanted to go with their OWN parents, they wanted to be with Izzy and me....joy.  So we moved in mass, sort of like a large amoeba.  Then after we got part way through the zoo, the heavens opened up and dumped a deluge of rain on us.  Okay, so you would think we were going to turn around and go back home...No way, Izzy said, we can just go from one covered building to another We are "Girl Scouts", so we can handle this with ease.  Not sure at this point who might have wanted to kill her more, the wet parents or the girls. After looking at these pictures,  I am not so sure.  In fact, Izzy isn't looking too happy, as we found cover in the bird aviary and no one wanted to leave.


I so loved being a Girl Scout leader and have some very special memories with a lot of little girls I came to love very much.  They are all grown, many with kids of their own and a couple are already early grandmas...time sure marches on.



The one thing I will cherish more than anything is that in the picture is my beautiful sister Rose, my beautiful nieces Marlene and Michelle from Oklahoma, and my lovely, sweet and beautiful nieces, Nancy, Brenda and Becky. Plus my dear friend Izzy, with the clipboard survived the trip.

After the last few weeks I am so pleased to have come across these and many more pictures and will enjoy scanning them in to forward to the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment..