Collage

Collage
My Many Sides

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rose Marie

Rose Marie is my only sister and she died today in 1989.........it is shocking to see how much time has gone by......
When she was born I was the happiest kid in the world, I finally got a sister...I already had three brothers and felt it was time.
Rose was born July 2nd and as a result for years thought the fireworks going during the 4th was for her..........especially after she was 3 and her big brother took her downtown to see the fireworks at the Detroit river.
Rose was a talented artist, accomplished horsewoman and loved living outdoors and experiencing the wild.  She lived for years in Alaska and raised some of her own food.  She also worked on fishing ships and hunted.  All in all she was a "Renaissance Woman".

My mother told me she did not know how she ended up with such daughters.  Mom said her daughters had "more balls" then her sons.
I do not know why my sister and I had such hard lives and why I did not have the gift of growing older with her.  When she was dying she told me that she wanted me to be her power of attorney and to fight her fights for her because she knew I would not fail her.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Because of our Mother being married to someone Rose did not trust, she did not want Mom to be put in a difficult place.  Like she told me, Mom would not be able to help her without backlash from her husband.  When I had to corner the doctor to tell us the truth, how long did she have.....would she live long enough for her brother's birthday on the 4th, the doctor did not want to tell me the truth.  Rose was in a coma at this time and both her brothers made it back home in time to say good by.  Her older brother's birthday was on the 4th of Oct, she died at 12:02am on the 5th of Oct., she hung in long enough so she would not die on her brother's birthday.  I guess Mom is right, Rose really had some balls.

I miss my little sister, I loved her with my whole heart and think about how lucky I was to have her for 32 years.  As I sit here crying because of how much I miss you Rose, I also have joy in my heart because I did what you asked me to do Rose and that is fight for your dignity.

So my little Rosey Posey Pudding and Pie, Thank You for being part of my heart and having blessed me for the years I had with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment..